Tuesday, December 4, 2007

"This is the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius..."

....or not. I guess it depends on what your expectations are for the Norwich City Council to be sworn in this evening at 7:30 in Council Chambers at City Hall. In the November election, did you vote for people and their ideas or against other people and their behaviors? How you answer probably has a lot to do with how you'll look at tonight's events.

I am especially looking forward to the reception after the Council meeting. Possibly there may be pie and pudding. I was hoping for pony rides, but City Hall is an old building and getting the ponies up the three flights of stairs might be problematic with its small landings (and since they lack fingers to push the buttons, the ponies will not be able to use the elevator) and somehow that might involve PETA and that means less pie for the rest of us.

If you're planning on having us start tonight's ceremonies with 'Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire', you'll want to bring lyric sheets or plan on being a soloist. And stand away from me as I have a medical condition that prevents me from enjoying amateur vocalists (called ears).

My point is, if we burden our new alderpersons with the weight of all our hopes and desires, they may decide tonight that they don't want to serve for two minutes, much less two years. If we can lower both our voices and our expectations and keep them in the more reasonable volume range, all of us can be successful and together everyone achieves more. Which also spells T-E-A-M.

I have always wanted to be a motivational poster-another wish fulfilled.
Maybe I could turn my attention to those pony rides.......
-bill kenny

No comments:

Honoring Honoré de Balzac

I return to this thought every year on this day because I need to remind myself that all of us, present company included, is the sum of ever...