Thursday, January 31, 2008

Oklahoma, USA

"All life we work, but work is bore. If life's for living, what's living for?"
Are you tired, too? Probably true at your house as well-we got through the holidays (and don't you hate that phrase, 'got through'? Diptheria is something to get through. A visit from your second cousin, Morty (the klepto), from Des Moines, is something you get through. NOT the holidays) pretty much on adrenaline and the vaguely articulated idea that 'later on, we'll take a break.' Welcome to later on, right?
Must've got lost. ......'Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from day to day.' (Courtesy of Cliff's evil twin, spark. Who knew?) And yet here we are. We may no longer be 'all that', but we're certainly all that there is. Woody's right, teacher, showing up is the biggest part of life-and 'you must be present to win'.

Today is the last day of the first month of the new year. What? Where did January go? Check the rear-view mirror, pilgrim, that's where it's gone. Who's driving--and who's steering? Are we at grandma's house yet? Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. I still remember singing that as I watched my infant son asleep in his crib after we brought him home. (Hey, for the first two hours after he was born, for reasons I cannot explain, I held him as I walked around the geburtssaal in the Offenbach Stadtkrankenhaus singing (in English, loudly) "I've Been Working on the Railroad" in spite of my exhausted wife's pleas to cease. Now, at 25, no wonder he stays at his house and we never travel by Amtrak.)

But, let's face it, no amount of fretting will rescue yesterday or return us to last Tuesday (come to think of it, thank goodness!) leaving us with this moment, and maybe the next, and hopefully strengthening our resolve and desire to make the most of each.
Babatunde Olatunji supposedly said, "Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift.
That's why it's called The Present."

Unwrap, serve at room temperature, season to taste. Unlimited servings.
-bill kenny
PS: Eddie R of Norwich, you missed a great Ethics Review Committee meeting. Again.

No comments:

The More I Know, the Less I Understand

Everyone has a theory for what ails us as a society. Except me. I have Stephen Covey.  Subject to your questions this concludes my briefing ...