Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Reality is for people who cannot cope with drugs

Got your attention, right? Snappy title, dripping with irony and innuendo, eh? Will you feel silly when you realize it has NOTHING to do with what follows? Bait and switch is alive and well on the World Wide Web. I apologize.This is a feeble attempt to have the last word and/or feel better (the latter is more likely).

Had a note from a reporter from a local newspaper and the story appeared in this morning's edition, in the local section (have to talk to my agent about that-at least it was above the fold) as "Zarnetske proposals chafe city council".

When you read the story, you'll discover as is so often the case in this newspaper, the person writing the headlines didn't read the article. But that's not what chaps my butt (I'm sorry, 'chafes my hindquarters'). Go ahead and read the story, I'll wait right here while you do that. Take your time, I brought a book (a book is like a Blackberry but it doesn't have a scroll key. Us old folks used to read them all the time back when dinosaurs and dial-up ruled the earth).

Now, as VH1 might say in 'Behind the Music':

-----Original Message-----
From: M......., L..
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:02 PM
To: Kenny, William P.
Subject: In need of your services
What did you think of the introduction of an ordinance on the floor last night? Do you think bringing something to agenda setting is backdoor politics? Do you think it defeats the purpose to bring something in cold turkey like that?
As always, thanks!

On 1/8/08 1:08 PM, "Kenny, William P. " wrote:
My understanding is the City Council has always been able to introduce a proposal for a resolution to be considered at a future meeting so I don't have as much difficulty with that as I do with the introduction, last night, of an eleventh resolution under 'new business' after the agenda has been posted.


How can I, as a resident, comment (before Council deliberations) or as an alderman (examine the background behind the resolution) on an item that I don't even know about until someone requests a suspension of the rules to place it on the evening's program?

To me, agenda setting is what happens PRIOR to the Council meetings where City Manager, the aldermen and the Mayor (and in theory, interested residents who have a patron) develop the roadmap for the next council meeting.
Bill Kenny
From: M......., L..
Sent: Tue 1/8/2008 4:11 PM
To: Kenny, William P.
Subject: Re: In need of your services

Thank you....once again!

-----Original Message-----
From: Kenny, William P.
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 5:04 PM
To: M......., L..
Subject: RE: In need of your services
I'm not sure how I helped, but you are welcome.
bill kenny


If you've noticed the significant edit in the story of what I said (okay, typed), and how it changed the meaning of my words, congratulations, Scoop, you're on your way to J-School. And after graduation, I know where you can work.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Honoring Honoré de Balzac

I return to this thought every year on this day because I need to remind myself that all of us, present company included, is the sum of ever...