Sunday, May 18, 2008

Setting Free the Bears

Did you read where polar bears have been named a 'threatened species' by the US Department of the Interior? As a homo sapiens who has Animal Planet as part of my basic cable TV package, I think that's a good idea--I imagine if I were a penguin or a seal or one of the other creatures that polar bears eat, I'd feel differently, but then again, they don't get cable.

However (with a capital "H") I'm no longer amazed that anything (and everything) that comes out second best in a battle of wills with humans ends up on the threatened species list. In the interests of full disclosure, I probably should share that I'm the chucklehead, that when I say (or, in this case, type) polar bear, even though I recognize it's a large carnivore, always visualizes the polar bear the soda guys trot out around Christmas sharing a Coke and a smile with a penguin.

Probably just me, but I think we like the idea and ideal of harmony as something to listen to in Beach Boys records, as opposed to how to get along with everything else with whom we share the planet. I only mention that because we may be pushing this 'can your thumbs do this?' gambit a skosh more than we should and if we disappear from this planet tomorrow, what species will miss us? One in search of parking spaces will, of course, immediately, cash in, but not so much any others. Except, maybe the seagulls, since the ones I see regard dumpsters as TV dinner trays. I'm not sure they know how to find their own food anymore.

My point, and thanks for assuming I might have one, is, if you're like me, reading about the threat to a part of our eco-system is pretty much the same thing as doing something about it. (Even though, and I'll admit this, one has NOTHING to do with the other). Maybe today, because I'm thinking about bears, and wondering if they really can ride bikes or if that's just in John Irving novels, I'll have coffee in a paper instead of Styrofoam cup and hope the landfill handles the latter better than the former. I don't doubt that bears can be trained to ride bicycles, but since they don't have opposable thumbs, how would they ring the bell on the handlebars to get people on the sidewalk out of their way?

Speaking of getting people out of the way, except that it will conflict with watching Bones and House on TV Monday night, if you're in the area, it might be worth visiting the Norwich City Council meeting starting at 7 PM. Late last week the local newspapers had stories on the further adventures of the miracle of democracy or how there's been a difference of opinion (change of heart, actually) about the role and function (and existence) of one of the standing committees, Administration, Planning and Economic Development (APED), that had been relatively moribund since its resurrection by our Mayor after he was elected a couple of years ago.

I follow this stuff, because while I may not be from here, I'm from here now, and I subscribe to Jim Morrison's dictum, 'keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel.' I have way too much first-hand experience with exactly how we roll (baby, roll) around The Rose City, especially when we think/hope no one is watching (honk if you've got a municipal code of ethics, eh?). Since the election of a new City Council last November, APED has been making a lot more noise and, it seems, a darn sight more than at least two folks on the City Council would like. Could be quite a time-every day's the end of days for some. And some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you. Would you like a napkin endorsed by the WWF?
-bill kenny

No comments:

Honoring Honoré de Balzac

I return to this thought every year on this day because I need to remind myself that all of us, present company included, is the sum of ever...