Sunday, September 6, 2009

Shut Up Underpants

I was coming back yesterday afternoon from a Republican Party candidates' forum in Greeneville at the Wonderbar Restaurant (and you missed an informative time if you weren't there, or if you sat next to me (thanks, Sheila)). There were three of the four candidates for City Council, plus the Mayoral candidate and three candidates for the Board of Education and about thirty of us. I'm not a member of this party, but those who are realize (or realize again) I don't have cloven hooves or a third eye and seated across and alongside of them for a couple of hours, I'm pretty sure the same can be said about them and that's an important first step. It went on for about two hours, and was always civil, respectful and thoroughly pleasant and well worth our time. I hope we do it again and do it often. And I hope the candidates from the Democratic Party and the Norwich For Change party also hold get togethers and people do and will.

But I digress (I know, 'gee, such a surprise!').
While driving home I passed a woman on Oneco Street near the intersection with Williams Street (I think; I'm real good at driving the streets and not so good with their names) walking her Doberman Pinscher (I assume; who offers to walk someone elses'?) on a leash and she had on dark blue tee shirt with Shut Up Underpants on the back. I have no idea what was on the front-what with the large dog and all, but when I sat down to write this, her shirt just jumped out at me (which probably isn't really the way I'd like this sentence to read, but, as they say in Congress, who has time for English? (kidding, I hope)).

And the title has the advantage of jumping out at you if you're just surfing the web today, hanging ten, grabbing some churn and getting jiggy with it (see? all of that was English and I have NO idea what any of it means) and your search engine just found this, and like a moth to a flame, here you are. Hopefully not sans (or ohne) underpants. And if you stop here on a regular basis, I know, 'big whoop'.

I had someone send me some amazing insights the other day-someone with whom I share the same biology and with whom I'm joined by the same air we breathe, but that's about all we have in common. So he's a pretty amazing guy for passing this stuff along but (of course) not as amazing as I am for sharing some of it with you. (why is there no ironic type font?)

Bernie (not the guy with the appliance store, another Bernie) tells me this comes from the mind and pen (or keyboard, I suspect) of Regina Brett of the Cleveland Plain Dealer and while I'm only going to pass along a few of her insights, the column itself is right here but before you read it, make yourself a nice cup of coffee, brew yourself some tea, or if it's late enough, maybe have a Seagrams's and soda, because you'll want to savor it, it's that good.

"Life isn't fair, but it's still good."
"Life is too short to waste time hating anyone."
"You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree."
"If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it."
"Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful."
"
No one is in charge of your happiness but you."
"What other people think of you is none of your business."
" No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up." and my favorite,
"Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does."

We're smack in the middle of the Labor Day weekend, so if you have to work, thank you for your labor and if you get the time off, enjoy it. The hustle and bustle and head-noise aren't going anywhere and you really look like you could use a break, so take it. And if anyone says anything, refer them to today's title and let them figure it out.
-bill kenny

1 comment:

mccommas said...

Underpants are funny...hee hee hee

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...