Sunday, December 6, 2009

Thelma & Louise Take Manhattan

The women of my house are on the penultimate road trip today though I hope, unlike their namesakes, they don't develop too much of a knack for long distances. They are headed for New York City, traveling as part of a trip organized through Michelle's school, ECSU, to the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular 2009 at Rockefeller Center in Manhattan. Both have always had a thing for the island people, I guess...Rhode Island, Block Island, Five Towns on Long Island, so the island of Manhattan is a logical progression.

And as impressive as you or I might find an outing to Rockefeller Center, neither have (to my knowledge) been there, the actual attraction for them and the whole reason Michelle worked incessantly to score TWO tickets for the school outing is more ambitious than merely kicking it with The Rockettes (sorry, Aunt Claire). And with Sigrid's ankle out, that would be sort of problematic, I fear.

Michelle had been able originally to only secure one ducat. Getting the second took some great timing and and persistence, but fortune smiled and they'll be rolling out at close to oh-bright-early as the jaunt from Willimantic not via the yellow school bus they had first feared was their chariot (yep, long box on wheels, bench seats, not a lot of heat, less shock absorbing suspension, a real treat. And we wonder why our kids hate to go to school!) but in a coach, should take if not forever, than what will feel like forever to reach Nu Yawk, Nu Yawk.

The object of their affection is a pilgrimage to F. A. O. Schwartz (I didn't realize they were such closet Robert Loggia fans.). I hope they appreciate the distances involved in trying to get both sites and sights into the same afternoon visit.

The weather, I've read, will be cooler than it's been though still slightly above normal at least in temperature and of course I've nudged them for days about dressing warmly as the concrete and steel canyons created by the buildings will turn the slightest of breezes into the sharpest of howling winds. They won't be able to pop into Boyd's Chemists to warm up, since not only has Boyd's moved since the days Browning School students nursed a Cherry Coke (fountain service only, please!), waiting in vain for Spence School girls, but they've never expanded their hours to include weekends. Dress warmly, ladies.

Back here in the Rose of New England, I'll be huddled with the Shiners for Shriners and the marching band maniacs as we brave a flotilla of floats at the annual Norwich Winter Parade. It all starts at Chelsea Parade at one this afternoon and ends up in Franklin Square, practically across from the Labor Ready (I love the sense of humor this stuff takes) and we have a wonderful time. If you see me, please accept in advance my apologies for being pre-occupied (post-occupied is just so darn expensive). If you offer me a penny for my thoughts, I may tell you that I'd like it as "Three dimes, a hundred dollar bill and 87 ones." It's all that Hanks' guy's fault.
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Childhood Memory

As a child at Saint Peter's (sic) School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, it was forcibly impressed upon us by the Sisters of Charity whose...