Saturday, July 30, 2011

What Made Milwaukee Famous....

Somewhere, Jerry Lee Lewis is smiling. He's quite possibly on the road while grinning though I suspect he's nowhere near Sheboygan-which, as a kid, I thought was somewhere extremely exotic and mythic like Timbuktu. I also thought that about Secaucus. Proving again, my mother raised handsome sons not necessarily smart ones. You can ask one of my brothers.

Wherever The Killer is and no matter what kind of a night it's been, it's not as bad as Bob Ryan's, mind you, though I can sort of recall nights like some of his recent adventures. Let me hasten to add I was neither in Sheboygan at the time nor was I the Mayor. Neither of which, as it so happens, can Robert claim.

This has all the potential of a Lindsay Lohan meets Mr Smith Goes to Washington adventure as soon as we line up, I don't know, let's say Bono and The Edge to write the music and lyrics. I, of all people, should not take nearly as much pleasure from this story as I am, since I'm not even close to being the 'there for the grace of God' guy in any comparison and yet...Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

The Sheboygan City Council, which (I assume) like similar bodies across America, rarely achieves unanimity, did so earlier this week as every alderperson requested the Mayor resign. However Mayor Ryan, it seems, has more difficulty recognizing last call than he realizes and has decided the great thing about career advice he didn't solicit is that he's under no obligation to take it, and hasn't and won't.

I think Mayor Bob may be playing the 'love the sinner but hate the sin' card a little more than necessary but I defer to the good citizens of Sheboygan on what happens next in light of previous history involving Mayor Bob and Demon Alcohol. I was tempted to say the Mayor may have gone to the well too often, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out during happy hour, it's been non-stop at the well anyway. Barbacks are wearing track shoes and can barely keep up.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Honoring Honoré de Balzac

I return to this thought every year on this day because I need to remind myself that all of us, present company included, is the sum of ever...