Thursday, December 1, 2011

Manuscripts of Unpublished Rhyme

I guess it's official now, 2011 is in full "Hello, I Must Be Going" mode as this is the first day of the final month of the year. Today is the birthday of my sister, Evan-now you come up with something good about it, too. Yeah, I know, tough going ,right? I just finished counting days and subtracting them from the year and what we have left is all there is. Yipes.

In January, I'd have stuck an ! on the end of that pes but no more. Why waste it now? All the poems, prayers and promises we hoped to enjoy are nearly all past tense and unlike Banquo's ghost, they didn't stick around long enough for us to savor or regret them. Hell, I don't know about you but I can't remember more than a handful of them without digging back through my daily journal and a lot of that reads like a travelogue from Bedlam.

I do know the three people I knew in the 'somebody has to be there' musical playing as far off Broadway as is possible this time last year are all home and dry now. We haven't closed auditions, which would be great news, but I'll take what I can get, when I can get it. If you've got someone in that stew right now, I'll keep them in my thoughts (and wish there were more I could do) as you hold them in your heart.

We're into Advent which means Christmas will be here in a moment and the New Year, which we'll embrace with the same enthusiasm we did its predecessor, will follow in short order. We're so busy struggling to live we don't seem to be enjoying life and that's a tight trick because whatever comes next is more a matter of faith than a statement of fact and that part of the carnival ride seems to be dark and quiet. I hope it's not closed for repairs.
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Quarter of a Century On...

Maybe it's a phenomenon of age and the aging process but I'm always surprised to discover something I think of as 'not that long...