Friday, March 16, 2012

Wherever I Lay My Hat

I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned my animus towards office cubicles. I’m reasonably certain, official and folk histories to the contrary; they started out as someone’s idea of a practical joke and then went very badly wrong very quickly.

 I’m imagining a couple of “Human Resources” types from “The Main Office” seeking to hire the next Under Assistant West Coast promo man. The process has taken longer than anyone wanted and out of spite, they decide to find out what’s the smallest box a candidate is willing to work in. No? Take a look at a cubicle and tell me why it’s not a shipping crate for a human soul.  Talk about no way out of here.    

How about this idea? It’s happening right now, if the story is accurate and I assume it is, in Austin, Texas, as the SXSW Festival winds down. The jury of public opinion, as embodied online and elsewhere, is split (between Sodom and Gomorrah?) 

I suspect this ‘discussion’ is just beginning and hope everyone who is, or will be, weighing in remembers there is no need to add volume to your voice if what you lack is a better argument. For years I’ve regarded Fielding’s novel as modern English literature, but still in the realm of fiction. I’m not sure if that has shifted or if we have and I’m not all that positive I want to find out.    
-bill kenny

No comments:

Eleven Years On

I'm reprising something I wrote years ago on this date because there was nothing else to write but the words of the next paragraphs. And...