Sunday, July 29, 2012

Faster than the Speed of Thought

I just noticed this yesterday for the first time (noting it more than once, technically doesn't count for squat, so I won't mention that part again) and I'm probably the last person on the planet to notice, including the three people in a cave in Bora Bora who don't have electricity or computers, but Facebook has started to match the ads they stick on the right side of the screen with whatever you're liking or typing about in the middle part.

When it happened yesterday, I'm such a moron I thought something was going on but wasn't sure exactly what had happened on the periphery of my vision. I'm a terrible non-touch typist so I have to stare at the keyboard and my fingers and the screen to see what I'm typing so all the stuff NOT directly in the middle of the monitor gets a free pass at least until I look up.

When it happened again, I had an 'ah-ha!' moment, frustrated that there was no one to show off this incredible discovery to. And later when Thelma and Louise came home and I told them, they looked at me with some pity, a little curiosity and a whole lot of impatience. I got a heaping helping of the 'are you done yet?' look and decided I was even though I wasn't.

So I didn't tell them I wanted to see how fast Facebook was and I came away impressed. I liked a couple of random postings on food, to include one that was a picture of some one's dinner (and I don't have many friends so I appreciated the share though I wasn't hungry) and of the three items, and two of them were sort of green, I could only identify one, green asparagus. Why don't we eat white asparagus in this county? It is so delicious your tongue will smile. Seriously

Anyway. Within two minutes of 'liking' the food, I had at least three farmer's markets and farm fresh produce ads. So I posted an entry on a classic (sixties) car and sure enough, a couple of eye blinks later there was a Dodge Dart ad, for the new one, and below it (I think) a BMW. I also had an ad for Alias Julius, a singer/songwriter whom I very much enjoy. 

For a moment the Imp of the Perverse got the better of me and I thought about stringing together a lurid limerick or a salacious sentence so degenerate the Facebook Police would speed over from Farmville or wherever the barracks is located to arrest me. Then I typed "one boy hits her like a tambourine" and this is almost what happened.   
-bill kenny

No comments:

Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella

At seven-plus decades here on the Big Blue Marble, I am perhaps inordinately proud of having very nearly all my own teeth and hardly any cav...