Monday, September 17, 2012

You Don't Look a Day Over 5,000

Happy 5773 (cue the noisemakers and the confetti? Probably not). Beginning at sundown yesterday and running through tomorrow morning, it's Rosh Hashanah. I was a bit taken aback by the traditional practice by people of faith of many different religions to not actually spell out or say God's name.

As a fallen away Roman Catholic, I envy those whose faith, especially today in the world we have created, allows them to move forward and carry on-even if I no longer share it (but would like to) because of stiff-necked pride.

The existentialism of despair I suppose provides its own comfort, cold as it is, or at least I hope it does as I have little else and when I'm finally sure of my lines, no one is there. I'm thinking of Stu, Larry, Susan, Ev, Bob, Dr. Bob and teacher because as liberal as I pretend to be, that's about all the members of the Jewish faith I know or know of.

A religion perhaps no larger than the mustard seed about which a Teacher of another time spoke so eloquently-whose existence is, for many, proof of a Divine Providence's steadfast watchfulness in comparison to which, the birds of the sky and the lilies of the field can only dream while, sadly, in so many parts of the world, others who profess to revere a God of their making can only scheme.
-bill kenny  

 

No comments:

A Childhood Memory

As a child at Saint Peter's (sic) School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, it was forcibly impressed upon us by the Sisters of Charity whose...