Friday, October 19, 2012

Eight to One is More Impressive

I guess at some point today I can uninstall the SportMobile App I have for my android cell phone. It's been a problem most of the baseball season but most especially in September and to be honest with you for nearly all of the American League Championship Series, ALCS, ("on TBS and Fox"), it didnt seem to be working at all.

I had adjusted mine for my favorite team, the NY Yankees and by now you know what happened. They were swept by the Detroit Tigers in four straight as the striped cats pushed them aside to return to the World Series (their most recent trip a few years back ended badly but hope springs eternal for Jim Leyland and his crew). I am hoping the SF Giants can turn it around against the Cardinals, who are, after all the defending World Series Champions but Detroit should be there and not my Yankees.

Yankees fans are spoiled-we expect to win everything every year. If the season doesn't end in a parade down the Canyon of Heroes, we will have rooted in vain. And nothing against the guys still in the chase, where in your respective cities do you think the victory parade would be half as cool as where we have it? Yeah, I rest my case.

Anyway, the problem with that unreasonable expectation is when your team fails (notice what I did there: 'we' win, but 'the team' loses; pretty suave, eh?) somebody gets blamed. Looks like it's Alex Rodriguez's fault (again) as he seems to have performance anxiety, though I guess not all the time (why are there bikini models? Men don't wear them and women know what they look like with them on.), though all this chatter about not coming back is goofy (as an economic proposition, Alex is a black matzoh-you can't get rid of him and you can't eat him). Other fans are blaming Nick Swisher and before we're done we'll have trashed the roster from top to bottom.

No need to be alarmed. We do this every time we don't win the Series (we've won it 27 times) so you should be used to it, I know I am. We'll throw a lot of money at free agents, mostly pitchers, maybe get a fielding tutor for Nunez and hope The Captain, Derek Jeter, and Mariano not only come back healthy next season but ten years younger. That's the plan-and thanking God we're not the Kansas City Royals.

We Yankees fans are lousy winners because  we're poor losers. It occurs to hardly any of us that the Tigers won because they were better. Except they were and their pitching was spectacular. Tip your cap, Yankee Junior, and break out the golf clubs. For a couple of weeks at least we should have the links to ourselves.

And if we hear someone shouting about jams and the fine art of kicking them out, it's probably just John Sinclair, grinning like a maniac smoking some herb, and I don't mean Alpert, out of a Tigers' licensed logo bong. Just playing through, John. And give that back to Phelps when you're done.
-bill kenny   

No comments:

Honoring Honoré de Balzac

I return to this thought every year on this day because I need to remind myself that all of us, present company included, is the sum of ever...