Monday, August 19, 2013

Isn't That the name of a hotel chain?

I don't mean to complain but it's getting a little crowded again here on the Big Blue Marble and we're not helped by the discovery of small, sweaty (I'll bet) furry things we didn't know about earlier this week

Never seen before by humans and this is the picture we're starting with? Obviously this creature doesn't have a Linkedin account or a Facebook Group (meaning no instagram pictures of whatever it eats, while it's eating it). 

The little guy is an olinguito and is, intending no disrespect, a little cross-eyed at least in this picture. I think it's great that no matter how many nooks and crannies we explore (and you can guess which of the two expeditions I'd like to lead) across the universe, there are, indeed, more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than can fit in one episode of CSI Miami. 

Americans have been interested in the Andes and its products (okay some of them) since, well, since Crockett and Tubbs got their first cigar boat so it's amazing (and not just to me) that no one on earth had ever seen this creature before. Wow. 

Did you read all of that link? If so, you are a better man than I, Gunga Din. You have to be pretty smart (or really bored) to slog through all of that taxonomic tap-dancing but it's our formal introduction to the Olinguito (of the Hamptons' Olinguito's, I wonder forlornly (I fear)). 

Think of all the years we've wondered where in the world is Carmen San Diego. We couldn't see the forest, or at least the tops of the trees, for the foliage. What the heqq happened to us? I thought we were hunter/gatherers! 

All this modern life and Hulu on demand making us soft in the middle while our lives are still so hard? I say we've been so preoccupied with sorting out where's Waldo, this little guy got overlooked. Put him in a red and white striped sweater and he's as cute as a bug's ear! Plain, without toppings, not so much.... 

And do NOT get me started on all the places aliens could be hiding. I don't want to think about it. I'm just not that smart even if I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 
-bill kenny

No comments:

B-B-Back in M-M-My D-D-Day

On New Year's Day, 1966, London Records (their USA record company) unveiled a billboard for the next Rolling Stones album, December'...