Sunday, March 16, 2014

It's Not Just Rock & Roll that Never Forgets

I was rummaging through the folders of some of the different email addresses I maintain and I'm always surprised and never disappointed by what the various services snag and bag for later cogitation and review. Except in the case of my WillibaldohtheMaginficenbutModest@hallucination.com address which never gets any mail, or pony rides, now that I think about it though there's a tell-tale aroma of manure in the vicinity.

I was intrigued to have email from Amazon about ordering in honor of spring some Blue Peeps or Peeps in general. I'm not much of a fan though I do have a soft spot for their tribute to The Beatles (some years before the 50th anniversary hype got started).

At first I drew a blank on possible triggers for the email, since it is my experience Amazon does next to nothing for no reason at all. Okay, soon they'll still do next to nothing for no reason at all but if you're an Amazon Prime subscriber it'll cost you an additional twenty bucks a year, but I'd submit it's still such a good deal you might feel a little chuffed when complaining, though some of us will anyway, almost as a visceral reaction. Imagine that the price went down instead, and I suspect there would still be clamoring and yammering.

Back at the Blue Peeps Cafe, I suddenly remembered a now-former colleague and still-Facebook friend at that time in the military who had volunteered for a second tour in Afghanistan. Perhaps being the opening act on the first tour wasn't quite the rush she was hoping for so she held out for headliner status? I don't know so I don't judge. I can only understand another's behavior but make no claims about motivation.

I ended up being part of a Peeps posse where a not inconsequential number of us, all unknown to one another both then and now, decided to ship her what proved to be boxcars of Peeps (or close to it)...right after she had suggested in an online posting that some Peeps would hit the spot. Gesagt, getan. And be careful what you wish for.

I had completely forgotten about the order and the rhapsodical reports posted about how many were shipped (fyi: all of them were eaten, 'devoured' I think was a word she used) and how much they were enjoyed. I'm still in awe of the dizzying and dazzling panoply of choices.

If I were to be challenged to a duel I could easily see myself suggesting as a weapon, Marshmallow Peeps at ten paces. Thanks to Amazon's automation and memory for detail, I wouldn't lack for resupply when the ammo ran low but not the Praise.
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Quarter of a Century On...

Maybe it's a phenomenon of age and the aging process but I'm always surprised to discover something I think of as 'not that long...