Wednesday, March 5, 2014

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling

When you have my last name, every day is St. Patrick's Day but I must confess my surprise when I learned that, weather permitting, Norwich's St. Patrick's Day Parade is this Sunday afternoon, stepping off at one from Ferry Street, practically across from the Otis Library on Main Street.

I think much of my surprise was the realization that this will be the Inaugural Parade. We have a terrific assortment of community celebrations for the various cultures and their contributions to our city throughout the year with festivities and feasting so forgive my bias as someone whose middle name is Patrick when I wonder, "Cad Thog chomh fada?" (what took so long). 

Actually, I'm trying to start a rumor that we've been using the other festivals as practice for Sunday's Parade, but I do not think that'll catch on, though I am hoping, based on the success of this Sunday's parade, that we can have one once a week or at least annually.

Here's the website that has all the details, from the downtown route march through how to buy a commemorative tee-shirts, to include the best places to park (let's not have that tired, old 'jeepers! there's never any parking in Norwich!' argument again, okay? Besides, I'm all out of jeepers, or should I say O'jeepers in honor of the parade?).

If you feel like marching you will not be alone as friends from as far away as New London and New Haven will be joined by some/all or part of the Norwich City Council and the Mayor, as well as members of the Police Department, Yantic Fire Department, the Fields School Marching Band and a whole lot more local and regional agencies and businesses.

It makes perfect sense to have so many people in motion as I can tell you that the Irish have a history of moving (how do you suppose there came to be so many of Hibernian heritage here in the USA in the first place?). The route looks to be about a half a mile through downtown, long enough to work up a broad grin but short enough to not break a sweat. And if you'd prefer you can pick a spot along the route to sit and enjoy the music, marching and merriment.

Eventually like the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade Perhaps we'll have helium filled balloons of Colcannon and Soda Bread though I fear the harbor ducks might be a bit rough on the latter but after the inaugural parade, there's a street festival with eat and drink and fun for the young and young at heart.

There promises to be corned beef and cabbage and a variety of both traditional and otherwise adult beverages to quaff a marcher's thirst as well as face painting and other activities. I used to hear as a child, "(i) f there were only three Irishmen in the world, you'd find two of them in a corner talking about the other one." Sunday, let's give 'em something to talk about.
-bill kenny 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah! A reference to a 40 year old album by an obscure (even then) bunch of Hamburgers! And, this relates to snakes on an island how?
OK. I'll go back and re-read the blog...at the extreme risk of having to revise my knee-jerk response to the first skim-thru.
MW, hope the ebbs and flows are ebbing and flowing as expected by the folks in smocks & masks.
LR

Anonymous said...

OK. NOW I get it...Nektar was about the magenta ink and making a punny. MW, the Irish eyes and/or potatoes and aversion to things Orange was a day later. But where does the ark fit in (or dock)? And for whose sins did Bobby Sands die?
Perhaps I should read only one writing at a sitting.
MW, Gesundheit wishes continue.
LR

William Kenny said...

I hesitate to even get involved as you seem to be playing both courts and may have actually just charged the net from both sides. Great backhand on a terrific drop-serve. Sometimes I fear you may be Hooked on more than Phonics. I'm recovering fine-the residual isn't behind my knee but at the incision point. That God, what a sense of humor.

Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella

At seven-plus decades here on the Big Blue Marble, I am perhaps inordinately proud of having very nearly all my own teeth and hardly any cav...