Monday, May 12, 2014

Algorhythm and Blues

I was tempted to type just about every perverse word or phrase I know in both English and German just so the search engines would drive metric boxcars of traffic to here and the server would crash and I could feel a rare sense of accomplishment on a Monday.

I decided to forego that cheap thrill because I can't compete with the breathless headlines of all day Sunday into the early morning hours of Monday on the selection of Michael Sam by the St. Louis Rams (I almost typed Cardinals, except they selected Sam Michael who looks just like him).

I'm not sure if the selection of the first announced homosexual football player is historic or hysteric and at what point do the rest of us perform an Air Force salute (a slow shoulder shrug) and return to our own lives, already in progress. Are we closer to the day when we concede that this is silly and says more about us than it ever will about Michael Sam, or anyone else whose sexual preference is public knowledge (I'm not wasting time on the why behind that question)?

Is the attraction that he's a distraction? Are we nearing the moment where we can pause and wonder if any of this is worth anything at all? "I'm just a tick in a box on a questionnaire, another moment that flashes into nowhere, a brand name on a  pill that gets you there so don't get me to fill up your empty lives."
-bill kenny

No comments:

Eleven Years On

I'm reprising something I wrote years ago on this date because there was nothing else to write but the words of the next paragraphs. And...