Monday, August 18, 2014

Orange Is the New X on the Forehead

Everything old is new again, some of us more so than others, I suppose.

Take Chuck for example. You probably know him better as Charles, Charles Manson. The man who put paid to the "All You Need Is Love" mindset forty-five years ago.  I was brought up in a religious faith where you hate the sin, not the sinner but Manson makes it easy to forgo and forget that concept.

I hadn't thought about him in years-I suspect almost none of us who were alive at that time have. And then I came across this news item. No matter how many setbacks and disappointments you have suffered as a parent, at least you're not Afton Burton's parents. That's what I call a reason to be cheerful.

Afton, or Star as she calls herself now, has this as her point and purpose it seems. I'm loving the idea of a "tax-deductable (sic) donation" to the Charles Manson Legal Trust. Ignoring the creative spelling across the website, I'm impressed by the single-mindedness with which she pursues her advocacy.

I'm not worried that this malevolent miscreant will ever be released, but am a little sad to think about what Afton Burton could've done in and with her life for herself and for others, and instead chose this path. You're only fooling you; look at your game, girl.
-bill kenny


No comments:

A Childhood Memory

As a child at Saint Peter's (sic) School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, it was forcibly impressed upon us by the Sisters of Charity whose...