Friday, September 26, 2014

Attention Shoppers!

If you’re heading out this weekend with retail in your heart, pardon me for attempting to hijack your agenda but consider stopping by an independent record shop (not a CD collection section in your nearest discount retailer because even though you think you’re saving money and living better, you aren’t and the folks who work there aren’t either).

In  my neck of the woods we shop here (they have some truly amazing stuff even if their website is a skosh outdated) and you have a place just like it near you so go forth and search out George Harrison’s The Apple Years CD reissue package that’s just arrived on the shelves this week. 

If, like me, you enjoy listening to music while reading about it, check out this inspired (if perhaps just for me, a little disquieting) performance from earlier in the week by George’s son, Dhani Harrison. The look and sound both vocally and instrumentally is his father so much so I’m almost, but not quite, distracted from enjoying his performance. 

I just realized everyone but Paul McCartney had a son who followed his father into the business (except John Lennon, who had two, who both did). Talk about stressed for success and triumphing despite it.

I’m sorry if you’re younger than forty and don’t understand or enjoy the way us geezers and codgers become Apple Scruffs when it comes to The Beatles.  Over half a century ago, when I was the ripe old age of eleven and a half (technically more like three quarters; fractions were important then) they landed on The Ed Sullivan Show and all of us lost our minds. I’m pretty sure I never found mine and never missed it either.

As the bumper sticker suggests, “The great thing about being old is we had all the cool music.” And every generation throws a hero up the pop chart so your time and turn are coming. Let me leave you with this smile for today. No need to thank me; someone has to watch out for you whippersnappers.

-bill kenny

No comments:

A Childhood Memory

As a child at Saint Peter's (sic) School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, it was forcibly impressed upon us by the Sisters of Charity whose...