Monday, January 12, 2015

Love Is the Answer (Your Mileage May Vary)

...assuming the question is 'what can you fall into that doesn't stick to your face?' 
As part of the generation that insisted 'All You Need is Love' might I be permitted a do-over on that concept as I make my way to and through my Autumnal Years? 

Events here at home in the last few months, and the carnage and killing in France last week have shaken me slightly in my beliefs, though not my values. Not sure anymore that the world can be seen in absolutes like 'love' and 'hate' or black and white. And I'm not sure that was ever the case, despite a generation's fervent conviction to the contrary. Maybe that's why Tolstoy called it "War and Peace". 

I think 62 plus years of running around on the ant hill, thirty-seven of it as a spouse and thirty-two of that as a Dad has taught me that what I don't know may be of more importance than what I thought I learned. While my generation sang the Beatles' anthem, we were actually living the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" ('just as every cop's a criminal, and all the criminals are saints....') 

Sometimes the difference between essential and existential is nonsense
-bill kenny

No comments:

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...