Sunday, April 19, 2015

From Lexington to Oklahoma

History, I’m told by those who purport to know has no beginning or end. It flows like a river whether there’s any one to note or notice or not. Perhaps, but that we as a species do notice and (at least in theory) do draw conclusions from what we note and notice, may, along with these opposable thumbs and our command of tools, be what sets us apart from the other beasts of the earth.

Or not.

I add the 'or not' disclaimer when thinking about history because that’s the easier path. And if I’m about anything at all, it’s the ‘don’t think too hard, you’ll strain yourself’ school of exertion. Three names associated with three moments in our history that share this date; you do the math. Let me know how that straight line connecting them together turns out to be and then let me know what we should do about it.


“I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past,” said Thomas Jefferson. As Abraham Lincoln said some four score and seven years later, "(T)he best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time." 
-bill kenny

No comments:

Honoring Honoré de Balzac

I return to this thought every year on this day because I need to remind myself that all of us, present company included, is the sum of ever...