Thursday, July 9, 2015

Life Imitates Art

I’m not a sci-fi guy. Yes, I’ve read Asimov and Heinlein but I mean the ‘way-out’ there stuff; the folks who believe there is a Matrix and who look over the shoulders trying to watch Skynet watching them watching it (a/k/a the Infinite Paranoia Reflection). 

As you may have noticed from stopping around these parts, I have enough trouble with real life. I don’t need to go to a parallel astral plane or to a future beyond the conceivable to get myself into trouble. I’m still not comfortable with how a thermos (a vacuum flask) keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold (how does it know the difference?) and that’s a device from well over a century ago. 

So much for future shock you say, and I’m with you whether I like it or not. I’m still wrestling with the past perfect and have not been doing well in those encounters so you can perhaps imagine the size of my grimace when the Mega-Bots Throw Down became a news story. 

Somewhere Neal Peart is smiling as his dystopian vision unfolds, somewhat ahead of schedule I’m saddened to report. But, every cloud has a silver lining, in theory at least, and as Coyne, Drozd and Evans might have pointed out ours may well be named Yoshimi. If and when she gets here, she can have some coffee-hot or iced may depend on her timing…
-bill kenny    

No comments:

Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella

At seven-plus decades here on the Big Blue Marble, I am perhaps inordinately proud of having very nearly all my own teeth and hardly any cav...