Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Hooked on Phoenix, or, in this case, Houston

Sometimes we hide things from one another by leaving them in plain sight. At least from what I can see (full disclosure: I started wearing glasses in the hopes of seeing other peoples’ point of view) of our often bruising interactions with one another, with not very good results. 

Here’s a perfect example and be advised it’s a story without a happy ending.  Did you notice how the headline is a variation of the last line of the story? And some variation! As my late uncle Mort might say, were he not already someone who is not deceased or even existing, of which he’s both.


Now, go back to the story and re-read the third paragraph.  Just me or does the word fiancée sort of jump out at you? How about after you re-read the last paragraph in reference Mr. Panzica’s arrest with a ‘New York woman’ while engaged in alternative amusement on a ferris wheel in Las Vegas. 

Do you wonder, as I do, if the unnamed fiancée in the third paragraph is an entirely different person than the New York woman in the last one? And just how general a definition of ‘good sport’ do you have to be, I wonder, if they are two different people?  

All I can do is wonder if that’s why so many of the carnival attractions along the midway have those signs “You must be this tall to ride this ride.”  Indeed.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Honoring Honoré de Balzac

I return to this thought every year on this day because I need to remind myself that all of us, present company included, is the sum of ever...