Friday, March 18, 2016

Merrick Garland and Other Tales Too Ticklish to Tell

I am chagrined to discover I am older than President Obama’s nominee for the United States Supreme Court, Merrick Garland.  As a kid, I got to tag along on week-long school trips my dad organized for the school (where he taught for decades) trips to Washington D. C. every spring/Easter vacation. I loved the White House and the wandering through the Capital Building and the FBI but also found stopping into the Supreme Court awe-inspiring and awesome.

Just the name, The Supreme Court of the United States, sent a chill down my spine. I had very little appreciation or understanding of the workings of jurisprudence, frequently thinking they were interchangeable with the notion of ‘justice’ (my brother can probably ‘splain that at me better now though whether I get it is another matter entirely), but I got the whole ‘everything ends here’ now aspect of the Supreme Court.

All three branches of the government, Executive, Legislative and Judicial are interlinked and integrally important to the success of the other two, and in combination with them, both, to the continued peace and prosperity of these United States, but maybe, just maybe, the Judicial branch is important-er.  Cast a glance at this list and I’ll wait while you offer a low whistle of appreciation and amazement.

I said all three branches of our government are joined, at the hip and elsewhere. It all happens within the Constitution of the United States, most specifically in this instance in Article II, Section 2.  I was born at night, but not last night so I understand the role of adversarial politics at the national level meaning for me the reaction of members of the Republican party in the US Senate is not so much a surprise as it is a disappointment.
   
I don’t quite understand the excuse masquerading as a reason that ‘if the situation were reversed’ or ‘the Democrats did the same thing…’ Brings me to my favorite faux argument against everything, ever (I’ve used this millions of times and NEVER TIRE of it): ‘if my mother had married a Kennedy, I’d be living in the White House. But she didn’t, so I’m not.’ Yeah, I know: doesn’t make any sense. My point exactly….

Long and short for Mitch, Orrin, and all the other simpering obstructionist meat puppets who’ve said ‘no’ to everything offered by 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue for the last seven plus years if you wanted to do something, you always find a reason; when you don’t, you always find an excuse. #DoYourJob.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...