Thursday, July 7, 2016

Before those Early Days

When you get old stuff sneaks up on you. Sometimes it does it in plain sight and between eye blinks. People and events happen and then unhappen before your very weary and bleary eyes. 

Most of the time, they don’t even need to have little cat’s feet with me; they can be wearing size 44 triple-e jump boots. Of course, with me being a self-absorbed obliviot I have a natural and automatic head start.

I’ve often joked (but I wasn’t really) that if The Beatles hadn’t invented rock and roll I would have had to do it or lose my sanity. I know they didn’t invent it, except for me with no older brothers or sisters, it sure felt like they did. And I've always believed me and my cohort were present at the creation

As for sanity, I have learned to surrender that along with the things of my youth, cool breezes, clean air, potable water, mercury-free swordfish steaks, belief in fair play and ethical behavior. It seems so long ago, mainly because it is.

Earlier this week, yesterday actually, it was fifty-nine years ago that John Lennon and Paul McCartney first met. I like to think of music from that moment on being like the call-to-arms chord that opens A Hard Day’s Night

Artful and awesome like nothing else you’d ever heard before or since. With an echo that stretches all the way from then to as far into the future as you can imagine we’ll ever have music. Forever and more.
-bill kenny 

No comments:

Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella

At seven-plus decades here on the Big Blue Marble, I am perhaps inordinately proud of having very nearly all my own teeth and hardly any cav...