Thursday, August 18, 2016

Look in the Mirror

My hometown newspaper, The Bulletin, asked  of its on-line readers this past Monday the following: "Do you think the media is to blame for Donald Trump falling behind Hillary Clinton?"

Don't laugh. We've had days where the questions were closer to "if you were a cloud what kind of cloud would you be?" so I appreciate the newspaper, part of Sarah Palin's so-called 'lame-stream media,' putting itself out there, unless, of course, we're smarter than we often appear.

Except we're not. At 1805 Monday, only 247 folks had responded (that number included me). The answer was to my dismay but NOT disbelief, 61% said 'definitely,' 8% said 'maybe a little,' (that is 69% of the readers blaming the messenger for the message, two of every three on-line respondents). Exactly 2% (I guess me and my shadow) said 'probably not' and 29% said 'not at all.'  

Over the weekend, there were similar numbers when asked if Hillary Clinton wanted to do away with the Second Amendment. This from the same people, no doubt, whose candidate is on record saying the Bill of Rights has thirteen amendments. I'm disquieted thinking there are this many sarcastic people not just in the world but in the readership of the local newspaper.

Sarcasm and Orgasm, concepts many people never seem to correctly identify or appreciate. Otherwise, there'd be more smirking when I type 'I hope you have a happy ending'.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Honoring Honoré de Balzac

I return to this thought every year on this day because I need to remind myself that all of us, present company included, is the sum of ever...