Sunday, October 30, 2016

Putting Ours in Hours

Even though it was a Saturday and a day off I was still late. I awakened with a start about a quarter after seven realizing I was supposed to have blood drawn at seven for a doctor's appointment on Tuesday afternoon.

I see an endocrinologist for my diabetes which I continue to believe was caused by my sweet personality, or not; that's what the blood tests regularly attempt to prove or refute, often with mixed results.

There weren't a lot of people at the drawing center around the corner (and a wiggle) from the house which has Saturday morning hours in addition to their oh bright early until dark hours during the regular work week.

There's hardly ever a wait but I still always make an appointment because of how I ration my time, consistently allocating the smallest amount possible for me and mine (like my father before me) and then wondering what happens that my life seems to work out the way that it always has. Yep, absolutely mystifying.

The phlebotomist noticed my ballcap, from the HBO series, "The Newsroom," and smiled in recognition, telling me it was one of her favorite shows, as it was mine, and how she thinks Donald Trump got a lot of his ideas about making America great again from Will McAvoy's speech to 'sorority girl' that opens the debut episode.

I wanted to tell her I think Donald Trump's last original idea died of loneliness and that he is, as Will McAvoy himself might say, the period dumbest period and laziest period spoiled brat moron period in the history period of our country exclamation point period. I did mention he stole his slogan from Ronald Reagan's 1980 campaign, "Let's Make America Great Again."  She marveled at what she saw as the coincidence rather than the plagiarism.

I was about to get wound up, as I tend to do with little to no provocation and then remembered she had the business end of a needle just about into one my veins or arteries (I can't tell them apart) and I need to do blood draws about twenty times a year. It's not how you start, it's how you finish and the day hadn't yet run its course and neither had I.
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Childhood Memory

As a child at Saint Peter's (sic) School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, it was forcibly impressed upon us by the Sisters of Charity whose...