Friday, January 13, 2017

Yeth

Are you experiencing a little trepidation at the thought of leaving the house today, Friday, the 13th? Don't be alarmed. In a study I almost read from some enterprising young Macedonian high school kids, most misfortune occurs within twenty miles of the house.

I'm not clear if that's your house, specifically or anyone in particular's house. In any event, I think you should leave now. And, by the way, I may have made that survey up but as our President-Elect would be quick to point out, that doesn't mean I'm lying (#ThanksDonald).

But no matter how your day is going or how you fear it may go by the time it reaches its end here's a guy whose misfortune, all self-inflicted wounds by the way, really helps explain the appeal of the word schadenfreude.

I'm still not sure exactly what Duane is smiling about unless he was getting busy waiting for what proved to be the deputy's arrival. And why do so many people smile in mug shots? Because those pictures look better on their Instagram accounts? Is it common practice now to ask the person at Central Processing to put aside some wallet-sized snaps for pick-up later? The way I read this, all we lacked were Barbara Stanwyck and Burt Lancaster.

Technically, of course, this isn't an example of the mischief and misfortune that can happen on Friday the 13th because Duane more or less stole a week's march. Though, as I read the report it's a pretty logical progression from his previous charge of running a meth lab on a boat. If that idea catches on, I'll bet cruise ship operators won't be able to keep up with the demand.  
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Quarter of a Century On...

Maybe it's a phenomenon of age and the aging process but I'm always surprised to discover something I think of as 'not that long...