Saturday, May 13, 2017

Get Up Each Day, Put on Your Uniform

The forecasts for this weekend, at least here in the North Least are nothing to get excited about unless you're a duck or a farmer. Or perhaps a farmer who raises ducks. I understand the rainfall deficit of recent years and the resultant drought conditions and so, yepper, I'm thrilled that we've battled back to almost straight-up even but I don't seem to have a whole lot from whatever this meteorological victory is supposed to be about.

Tomorrow is Mothers Day so for those who have one, something a little on the drier side for outdoors would be nice but whatever you're doing for your mom tomorrow, assuming we get enough dry weather to matter, make sure you're near a television, and ESPN, at half past eight tomorrow night for the final game of a four game home stand against the Houston Astros.

Believe me, baseball fan that I am and Yankees fan in particular, calling your attention to tomorrow's ESPN air time of 7:30 has precious little to do with the Astros. The Yankees will be retiring Derek Jeter's #2 uniform (they've now retired so many uniforms I think the current roster shares the five jerseys still available) and I want to make sure you don't miss it.

Haters need not apply and don't bother to tell me about how you disliked him/the Yankees/New York baseball or sports in general/whatever currently has your knickers in a knot. I'll ignore you not just tomorrow night but for all time.

I don't know about you, but I would give half of what I ever hope to own to be able to do something, anything, as well as Derek Jeter played baseball. Not just the way the game should be played, but the way it must be played.

I offered here one time that if baseball is religion then Yankee Stadium is Saint Patrick's Cathedral. I'm not sure what that makes Derek Jeter, but I'm glad tomorrow night's events will make me sad again celebrating how he played so well and so long.


Thanks, Jete!  
-bill kenny      

No comments:

Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella

At seven-plus decades here on the Big Blue Marble, I am perhaps inordinately proud of having very nearly all my own teeth and hardly any cav...