Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Two for One Sale on Rose Buds!!

If you’re looking for cheery, chipper or perhaps snarky words about the City of Norwich budget process, you should look elsewhere. We elected a Council to make those decisions and that’s what they tried to do Monday; if you can do better run for office, otherwise move along.

Every morning I try to lean forward and greet the day in as positive a frame of mind as I can summon here in The Brave New World. It can be trying sometimes to enjoy this moment when so many of us like to use the past to explain why the future will not work. 

I didn't grow up in New England, or Southeast New England (as folks from New Hampshire and Vermont have told me this area is called. I don't have the heart to share with them what people I know from Maine call them) so I'm not sure how much of this Eeyore frame of mind is a result of environmental influences or how much is hereditary. But when I think of how New England came to be settled, and the resolve and resolution and optimism those voyages required, I'm not sure it's not the former rather than the latter. 

You know who I mean, the donkey from Winnie the Pooh who has, umm, slightly lower expectations on the prospects of success than Kanga, Rabbit or Tigger. I love his cartoon voice and his ability to see the glass as half-empty. Of course, from someone whose favorite food is thistles, perhaps it's too much to expect wide-eyed optimism. 

Except, why not? Today, this day, actually any day is exactly as long (seconds, minutes and hours) if it's drudgery or if it's excitement. Why choose unsalted crackers and unflavored gelatin when you can taste the color of the rainbow, or at least contemplate tasting it. 

I bought regular gasoline last night (they were all out of extraordinary, I guess) for more than it cost a month ago but nowhere near the most that I've ever paid, so I'm good. But the fellow on the other side of the island (and I don't mean Mark Burnette) with a sports utility vehicle so big it probably has its own zip code was not happy at all and didn't care who knew it. 

From what I could understand of his muttered imprecations, someone from an auto dealership (or perhaps the manufacturer) is holding his family hostage and that's why he bought this huge vehicle because as he pointed out (very loudly) 'I'm going broke just keeping it in gas! Everything in this state is so expensive, y'know?!' ?' Actually, I didn't know but suspected it wasn't a good time to bring that up

I don't imagine anyone anywhere is happy at the cost of fuel or food or clothing or housing or the taxes they pay or the ones someone else doesn't but this is our life and we make it what it is, or it happens beyond us in other people's lives, and we have no voice and no choice. 

The Island guy sounded like a believer in 'them' [what are making all the money from 'us', I guess] and I didn't have the time to ask him who exactly the 'them' is. The next time I see him, or someone like him (and to people like me, Eeyore always looks the same) I'll ask him and pass it along to you and that way two of us can be on the lookout for 'them'. 

Actually, no I won't. I have only today in which to live, to laugh and to love. I have no idea what happens tomorrow and there were things yesterday I could regret but cannot repair, so I'm done with that day as well. Today is the next day in the only life we have, so face it and embrace it. We've got bees to count and clouds to sweep. And exactly 86,400 seconds to get it all done in. 
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Childhood Memory

As a child at Saint Peter's (sic) School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, it was forcibly impressed upon us by the Sisters of Charity whose...