Thursday, August 24, 2017

Without a Trace

On the Gold Coast of Connecticut, the state in which I reside (I live in a state of bemused bewilderment for the most part), the city of Stamford is considering a ban on cellphone use by pedestrians while crossing the street.

As someone who has always had difficulty chewing gum and walking at the same time, a ban like that might help save me from myself, to say nothing of saving you from me as well. I attempt on more occasions than I am comfortable in admitting to trying to walk while reading my cellphone screen and have repeatedly walked into other people or objects to include phone poles and street signs. Such a ban here where I live might save my life.

I use my cell phone a lot to listen to music while I walk which I concede can make me less aware of my surroundings (deliberately on my part) than may be good for me but I never even have the cell phone near me while driving my car, because that kind of distracted driving is just crazy.

And if you doubt that, consider this your teachable moment. Definitely proof that 'you don't have to tell me twice,' mainly because I'm not sure anyone survived that unscathed, once.
-bill kenny  

No comments:

A Childhood Memory

As a child at Saint Peter's (sic) School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, it was forcibly impressed upon us by the Sisters of Charity whose...