Friday, September 1, 2017

Channeling Joyce Kilmer

The arrival of September, as of midnight this morning, puts "paid" to the Summer of '17 unless you're on a surfing safari or somewhere lost in the ozone. The incredible number of fallen maple leaves dotting our back and side yards all from trees not on our property was my signal to start to dread the warning, "Winter Is Coming" and I don't even watch Game of Thrones.  

What I noticed yesterday across the yard was the preponderance of green leaves, as opposed to leaves of varying colors, causing me to wonder if they had just lost the will to live or were registered in some kind of race to earth that the Forestry Service might be interested in learning about. 

Most distressingly, almost all of the fallen leaves, and I'll assume those on the tree as well though I'm not much of a climber, social or otherwise, had black spots, some more and others less, like the ones on this leaf. 


It's called Maple Tar Spot Disease which is a name I might have come up with because that's exactly what it looks like, though I'd have probably gone with splotch instead of spot because I'm a splotchy kind of a guy.      

I'd pass this information along to the neighbor whose tree this in a woods I know, thank you very much to Robert (and the horse you rode by on), except I've never met her/him and they have zero interest in ever raking up the leaves in the autumn and the fallen branches after the winds of winter that cover my yard. On the other hand, fair is fair, they don't charge me for the welcoming shade in the summer
-bill kenny    

No comments:

A Quarter of a Century On...

Maybe it's a phenomenon of age and the aging process but I'm always surprised to discover something I think of as 'not that long...