Saturday, September 30, 2017

Would You Lie with Me and Just Forget the World?

Like just about everyone on earth, I look forward to the weekend. I'm hoping for this one in particular for a double dollop of uneventfulness (or uneventitude? I'm never sure which).

I brought my wife to our local hospital's emergency room yesterday at late morning, for a sharp pain in her chest, right around where she had similar pain in June of 2015 which turned out to be a heart attack.

While the staff ran tests of all manner and origin, I unpacked all the worst-case scenarios I keep tucked up inside. That way, no matter how awful their medical report might prove to be, and it really wasn't in hindsight, I've already imagined infinitely worse.

As good fortune and excellent healthcare insurance (Attn: GOP, Clean-up at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, bigly) would have it, she was allowed to go home with the promise to behave herself. 

About three hours after we'd returned home I realized I was still shivering from the fear of a loss I am powerless to prevent. We're married forty years next month and the thrills never stop though I'd be lying if I said a bit of a break would be kinda nice for both of us.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella

At seven-plus decades here on the Big Blue Marble, I am perhaps inordinately proud of having very nearly all my own teeth and hardly any cav...