Monday, October 16, 2017

I Was Born in an Abundance of Inherited Sadness

I was getting in a weekend walk yesterday afternoon while the weather allows it as, judging from the large number of motorcyclists I saw out doing, in their way, what I was doing in mine (gathering rosebuds without risk of thorns), we probably are running out of daylight and nice days to do that.

I hiked down McKinley Street until it became Franklin and then walked that all the way to Main Street, past the Wauregan and then a slight left beyond the courthouse until I was at the Norwich Harbor. 



I doubled back so I could walk past the Mercantile Exchange and curse the (absence of a) view of the Harbor they have from their back plaza (too much and too many ugly parking structures that someone before the Nineties began thought was a great idea; it wasn't then and it isn't now) back down Main Street and renovations that will create a new business, just past the Main Street Garage as you make your way back towards the intersection with the Shannon  Building and the Wauregan Hotel on opposite sides.

I noticed the sign hanging from the building a little farther down Main Street for Encore Justified was missing and started to fret until I remembered, 'when you hear hooves, think horse not zebras.' And speaking of zebras since the crosswalk was right there, I used it and continued up Broadway past the not-quite-ready-to-open Craftsman Cliff Roasters coffee shop next door to the under-construction  Fairhaven Hotel that's one of the Broadway properties the Stackstone Group is transforming. 

Proving I'm not as predictable as I'm often accused of being I chose to NOT take a photo of City Hall and continued up the hill, on Broadway rather than Union Street, towards Little Plains Park and past the Cathedral of Saint Patrick. I admired the foliage on a tree in front of a yellow house facing the park that's in desperate need of TLC and dollars to fund a renovation and restoration. 



I came upon a bumper crop of lawn signs on a corner house near Broad Street supporting a multitude of folks, incumbents and newcomers alike, seeking seats on the City Council though the one that caught my eye because it towered over all of the others was a For Sale sign causing me to wonder about the  support from someone who is probably engaged in packing and leaving.



As I neared Chelsea Parade and home I paused as I often do, to admire the exterior of the Mount Crescent House Bed & Breakfast (and smiling at the memory of the afternoon I had the opportunity to enjoy the view of the outside from the inside (and it is gorgeous)), and then hurried past the Teel House and a moment later, was home again, home again, jiggity jig.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Charting a Course

Now that we've had three weeks or so to catch our breath (scout for exits perhaps and count our spare change) I heard someone suggest th...