Monday, October 9, 2017

In Honor of the Day

I'd wish you a Happy Columbus Day but only if we were in Ohio. This is from some years ago and seems to have aged well which is more than I can say about myself. Back then I called it: 

Flat Earth Membership Cards Accepted Here

I wrote this a number of years ago thinking if I wrote it down and read it aloud all of it might make more sense than to struggle silently. It turns out it still doesn't seem to be right and I'm not sure we care enough to ever fix the wrong.

When we were kids, Columbus Day was a big deal. In New York City the Department of Public (almost dropped the L off that; awkward) Works used to paint the white line on Fifth Avenue purple for the annual parade that was always held on the real date of the holiday, October 12. In light of so much, I, as a man now know that as a boy of twelve didn't about the Rape of Paradise which ensued after Columbus' arrival, I think perhaps blood red might have been a better choice of colors. 

When I was a kid, all I ever cared about was the day off, just like kids across the country. We all recited the rhyme because that's how we knew what we did know about Columbus and since there wasn't a snappy couplet about genocide we didn't hear anything about that aspect of discovering the New World (I also don't remember the Arakawa natives part but some of the little gray cells have had some rough days). 


Looking at the world as it is and how all settlement and civilization has developed, I'm not sure it's just Old Chris we should be putting in the defendant's dock and charging. I'm thinking a look in the mirror, as well as a glance out a window, might increase our catch significantly.

And to compound the cacophony of facts clashing with opinions is the realization that not only did Columbus not discover the New  World, he wasn't the first anything anywhere. We've spent hundreds of years observing a historical event that is neither historic nor actual. Sort of like being the second runner-up in a three-legged race.

And now, as it's the dot on the "i" in Monday holiday, we have another excuse (and sales opportunity) to buy bedding or is that just me in the last couple of days? Sandwiched between the 'My candidate is on the special advisory committee to Gawd while yours eats bugs" commercials have been a steady stream of ads selling mattresses. I'm not sure there's any more of a connection of one to the other than there was to India from Bermuda back in the day. 

Speaking of which, you have to cross an ocean from a basement warehouse at Bertramstrasse 6 in Frankfurt am Main to get to a certain city in Ohio. All I know for sure is such a journey can take decades and cost you more than you ever believed you could pay when you first started as both Chris H and I can attest. But it's worth every penny, for your thoughts and otherwise.        
-bill kenny

No comments:

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...