Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Sometimes Silence Is Superior to Saying Sorry

I’m not sure I knew (or cared) who Harvey Weinstein is/was until late last week but I’m willing to concede I probably won’t forget if I live to be one hundred and five. 

As a son of a woman, a brother of women, a husband, and father of a daughter, the behavior outlined by people like Rose McGowan defies description in terms of my reaction and revulsion. That Weinstein is not alone isn't an earth-shaking realization. I am not the first person to be aware of this kind of behavior but I am still shamed by yet another reminder of how the world works for people other than myself. 

I read postings in my newsfeed from women who are Facebook friends over the weekend into the early morning hours of Monday about their own experiences as the objects of sexual harassment and sexual assault they had endured (neither of which are ever acceptable) and from others who offered a simple and simply eloquent "Me, too" on postings about the same subjects. 

For reasons that have to do, I hope, with how I was raised, I offered this with good intentions: 



That adage about better to say nothing and be thought a fool (or a patronizing or even worse clueless cad), rather than open your mouth and prove it. As a twitter poster reminded me, and countless other men, albeit too late at least in my circumstance:



As a well-meaning buckaroo, I was at a loss as to what I could say when silence in this matter and at this moment was the right response. This I knew before and have NO trouble saying: Wrong is wrong no matter who does it or to whom. 

You don’t ever have to say anything to anyone ever but I want you to know if you choose to, I will always listen and will always try to help. Hopefully better than I did this time around.
-bill kenny


No comments:

B-B-Back in M-M-My D-D-Day

On New Year's Day, 1966, London Records (their USA record company) unveiled a billboard for the next Rolling Stones album, December'...