Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Subpoenaed in Texas, Sequestered in Memphis

A fellow walked by me in a store and offered, 'life's a funny old dog, ain't it?' I'm not sure he was speaking to me, through me or for me, but I've had days where I am bone weary from doing absolutely nothing and am so fuzzy headed my brain has been reduced to cotton batting.

'Sure is,' I say because I have no idea where this is heading and then, he just keeps walking and is gone. And now I have this mental visual of a Great Dane, an Irish Setter or one of those Please-Don't-Eat-the-Daisies dogs (never a greyhound, or a whippet or a Jack Russell terrier) and it turns out he was filling up the six seconds it took him to walk from some point before where I was to just past me on his way to the door. Thanks for nothing, Old Roy, stuff you and the horse you ro--well, never mind about the horse.

My wife and I have two children who, when they were young (I used to say 'small' as if she and I were in the miniatures business or something) had pets, fish for the most part and the occasional turtle (great name for a band, imho). My wife wound up taking care of the pets because children, being adults in training, don't care about anyone other than themselves, especially a species that can't talk or attract attention until the moment it shuffles off its mortal scales and goes belly-up. We have had our share of burials at sea- did you know that the water in the toilet swirls in a counter clockwise direction in Australia? it does-and life went on, though some settling of contents may have occurred during shipment.

We're not pet people--not that I know what pet people are or what they look like. I have enough trouble taking of myself, and really don't, my wife does, and I don't want to burden her any further. Besides why should I invite competition? I could see having a horse, sort of at least once a year for my birthday (at my age, on a pony, my feet would still touch the ground) but then what? Perhaps an ocelot? I'm not sure what they are, but they sound cool, don't they? Maybe a marsupial--I just like the name--or a koala (what happened to the one who used to be the spokesbear for the airline?).

We have mascots for sports teams, from junior high through professional, all named for animals. We drive Mustangs and more and sometimes we compare our selves to animals (you can supply your own example). We didn’t go back to her place, We went to some place where she cat-sits. She said, “I know I look tired, but everything’s fried, here in Memphis.”
-bill kenny

No comments:

B-B-Back in M-M-My D-D-Day

On New Year's Day, 1966, London Records (their USA record company) unveiled a billboard for the next Rolling Stones album, December'...