Wednesday, October 17, 2007

What's the matter, Lassie? Is Ellen in trouble?

I like to think I pay attention to the world around me, but what is/was the deal with Ellen DeGeneres? I get a little scared (and more than a little, truth be told) when the talking heads at Fox News spend what seemed like ten minutes or so discussing her nationally-broadcast tears, complete with what sounded like a teardrop-by-teardrop slow-motion play by play by some chucklehead the other two goobers kept calling "Judge."

Huh?

Don't get me wrong.
I understood the context in which she cried.
My question: why is this piffle anywhere near a "news" program?
Did OJ Simpson call in sick?

We've got Lindsay, Paris, Britney and who knows how many others, all calling shotgun in the media clown car known as AADDT, American Attention Deficit Disorder Theater. Nobody gets it like we do-and there's no cure for it, it seems.
Now we've added Ellen DeGeneres to the roster.

Did anyone else think it was a slow newsday?
I mean, there's still a war in Iraq, right?
We've still got helpless and hapless (not to mention) hopeless people in Darfur, Mogadishu, Kirkuk and other cities around the globe, at least when I last checked.
Do we not have 42.8 million Americans with NO health insurance or skyrocketing oil prices crippling our standard of living and threatening the global invisible poor with silent extinction?
Just checking.

And into all of this we roll a TV personality who has a problem with an animal adoption agency that reduces her to tears, while thousands of on-line looners pick sides?
I'd ask 'are we crazy?'-but I already know the answer.
I'm just trying to figure out how to change the question.
Send us all to our 'time out corner' for the next twenty minutes.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella

At seven-plus decades here on the Big Blue Marble, I am perhaps inordinately proud of having very nearly all my own teeth and hardly any cav...