Tuesday, January 1, 2008

So far, so good

I'm nearly fourteen hours into the New Year, and I must admit, it's been pretty good. Okay, I spent a bunch of it sleeping and have only recently gotten out of bed, but, let's face it, In Every Dream Home a Heartache, and you can't be too careful.

Already went to the grocery store to get some 'back to work' supplies (bottled water and what I think of as healthy snacks) for a job I haven't been at since 19 December (I used to go into work every day, not so much because I'm dedicated (prospective employers: I am dedicated, but not quite that much) but because I don't have much of a life). Now, as I start to actually look for a new job--August gets closer by the day and I'll be past tense by August, I figured I'd rehearse for when I don't work there anymore.

Almost forgot how dinky and dingy the place was/is. The packaging suits the contents, I guess. It'll be almost seventeen years by the time we get to August and that's a long time for anything, especially for something you've realized you don't like doing anymore. Don't get me wrong--there are many enjoyable aspects to my job and I work very hard to have fun every day. Noel Coward once suggested, 'work should be more fun than fun' and I couldn't agree more with that sentiment.

When you think about how many years you work, and reduce it to months, weeks, days, hours, minutes and seconds, it's almost a sin to ever spend ANY amount of time doing something you dislike for a living. Each of us spends time every day with someone who did us a favor showing up for work this morning--most of the time I wish they'd do me another favor and go home. If you still love what you do for a living, here's some more good news: 2008 is a leap year! 29 February is a Friday, so there's an extra day of work.
Is this a cool world or what? That's what I thought. So far, so good. So what.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...