Monday, May 5, 2008

Touch of Grey

I drive past a time and temperature display from a local bank everyday. It always causes me to look at my watch because it's about six minutes faster than mine (even the one in the cell phone) and its temperature display is about five degrees cooler than the one in the car (which is located I have no idea where but whose results I trust implicitly perhaps (because) it's in my car which is a reason, albeit a not too rational one).

I only mention any of this because I think we have an account with them, and maybe you do, too. Actually the larger issue, whether either of us do or not is what's the matter with these guys? This bank hasn't been there that long-they finished building it last fall and, without meaning to sound too snotty but not caring if I do, it took almost a month to make the switch from Easter Standard Time to Daylight Savings Time (for drying out loud) on the display. Huh?

I have to believe the time/temp display is so complex that great care must be taken anytime an adjustment is needed. And, fwiw, when it was displaying EST instead of DST, the minutes were still way off, so the device is even more complex than I had previously assumed. But how does this stuff happen? We go by how many of these things everyday do you suppose? For grins, I counted the ones I pass on a regular basis and it's five--sort of defeats the whole argument for wearing a watch I guess, to include two that are within sight of one another and seem to never agree on the time or the temperature.

My problem with the first guys, in light of the fact that I am really sure we do have money with them, is how much attention do you suppose they pay to that display? And what should I make that? I go in there and ask for a home loan and they give either 35,000 dollars or twenty-two dollars, 'it's hard to keep track y'know'. And as for the repayment schedule, well, once a month or, is that too hard...how about whatever's easiest for you? C'mon! Do you see where this is heading ? I'd hesitate to have a CD with them because I'm not sure what they think the rate of return is.....2.3% or 5.7% or whatever eleventeen point bajillion......I know I'm being snippy but I was raised that if you take care of the little things the big things take care of themselves and I got folks running banks who don't seem to know how to tell time or take temperatures. And then we wonder about the sub-prime crisis. The shoe is on the hand that fits/Whistle through your teeth and spit/Yes, I get the gist of it, but it's okay. I will get by....
-bill kenny

No comments:

B-B-Back in M-M-My D-D-Day

On New Year's Day, 1966, London Records (their USA record company) unveiled a billboard for the next Rolling Stones album, December'...