Monday, June 4, 2012

And I Do Believe in Miracles

I hope the week, filled with not only the work ahead, but the work that accumulated last week while I was away, is a bit less eventful than the last seventy-two hours have been. I work hard to forget there are a huge number of us on a relatively small orb and that while we sometimes think we are saying 'so long,' we are sometimes saying 'good bye' and never realizing the difference until it's too late.

On Saturday evening, via Facebook, I remade the acquaintanceship of someone of whom I had last thought about twenty-seven years ago and whose circumstances now are truly an underscoring of what my Mom always calls 'there but for the grace of God goes I.' He lives many hours from me now, on the same side of the Atlantic but I can't imagine we'll be shoe-shopping together anytime soon since all we really ever had in common was where we worked and now we don't have that.

Truth to tell, I was both surprised to see a request from him and also touched that he sought to contact me. However, I wasn't surprised, looking at his profile, to see he had scads of not only FB friends but flesh and blood ones as well that I, too, know but who would never contact me. Perhaps for him I'm the parable.

Someone whom I first met while toiling in the rock and roll circus shared a song she rescued from a nearly lost  memory entrusted to audio tape that she posted to youtube. She had a moment in the late seventies/early eighties and then the planets realigned, record company politics changed or we, the listeners, went somewhere else and I ended up with some great pieces of vinyl and a bunch of 'I wonder what happened to' questions.

The song she posted reminds me of a snowflake. If you hold  it too long and try to parse it, it will melt in your ear-but it is a thing of beauty and I hope if you choose to listen to it, you'll enjoy it and remember it's just another facet of a very expansive body of work has she assembled and produced in extremely challenging situations. She is but another chapter in the story of my life whereas I am less than a footnote in hers, which is just as well. I continue to be impressed by the size of the library and while I'll never read or meet all the tomes on the way to the tombs, it's a comfort to know they are there.
-bill kenny      

No comments:

Art for Art's Sake

The purpose of art is to conceal art.   This is called "The Invisibility of Poverty" created by Kevin Lee. -bill kenny