Saturday, November 17, 2018

Difference between Utopian and Dystopian

Quite a number of years ago I went through a bleak blackness or a black bleakness (never figured out the difference) which produced items similar to what follows. I tell myself I'm past all of that now but I know from sad experience how persuasive a liar I can be. 

How do I explain this one? Carefully, I guess. In the course of hopping across the world wired web, I came across a discussion about a 'dis' (disrespecting) that may or may not have been administered as part of a comment offered by someone connected with the other evening's telecast of the Country Music Association's annual awards. 

This has actually NOTHING to do with the awards, the recipients or the respect and/or lack of it that was, or wasn't, offered (I'm not sure that constitutes a full disclaimer, and if it does I'm not sure that's even approaching coherence but I hope so).

As is so often the case these days when a platform posts a story and solicits visitors' comment, very close to ZERO monitoring of the comments themselves ever seems to happen. So after two or three (at most) readers' notes that are actually about the original story, all the trolls and gnomes come out and start posting on, in this case, a variety of 'social' sites some of which read like Cougar Country and/or SugarDaddy dot ayup. 


I've reached (and passed) an age where I shake my head in as much disbelief as embarrassment when anonymous strangers share way too much about the emotional bankruptcy by which they define themselves. By the time I read the third consecutive troll post, my brains had been thoroughly shaken but not stirred. 

That may have been why as I read "...Life is so lonely, I am a gothic (sic). My friends told me about GothicScene and ..." my mind started to dry heave. You know I had to copy the URL into the web browser and see this one for myself. And it was worth it though I didn't fully appreciate the self-congratulatory mention of "the...most effective dating site... for vampire singles in the world!" But in fairness, vampires only have half as much time, daylight and all that, the rest of us have so I should be glad I suppose someone's got their back. 

I know I've gotten old when I wonder if this is the brave new world Al Gore envisioned when he invented the Internet back when the last Ice Age was ending. We seem to have almost engineered ourselves out of existence and, as it happens, no one and nothing else on the planet will miss us when the last of us has gone. 
And I worry that day may be coming much sooner than we thought.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Remember Charlie, Remember Baker

History is a funny thing. Today fades right into yesterday before your very eyes and then because it was so subtle you almost but not quite ...