Saturday, November 14, 2020

Young and Innocent Days

One of the themes I'm picking up on social media over the last week has been a hope for a return on so many platforms to the way we were BT (Before Trump). You remember that time frame, perhaps only dimly but still?

We sent one another a lot of cat memes, old Gary Larson and Far Side cartoons, and the occasional quote from Marcus Aurelius (or was that just intended for me?). Hand on my heart, to this day, I've never ventured anywhere near the Trump Facebook page, but have read it does exist and if it's anything like his Twitter feed, it must be terrifying. 

And, as I said, I've been reading ruminations that when/if he's dragged from the Oval Office, leaving orange-tinged fingernail claw markings in the carpet all the way down the hall to the Rose Garden Portico, the halcyon days of Pre-Trump will return, peace will guide the planets, and love will steer the stars. Assuming, of course, they can get all the Cheeto Dust out of the furniture in the Residence.

Or not, I suspect. Yes, I won't feel compelled to check my Twitter feed three times an hour to see if the Mango Mussolini has threatened to blow up the world, but let's remember a lot of the content on social media back in the day was beyond mundane. 

For instance, and these will make a huge comeback: do you remember Twiggy, the water-skiing squirrel? Do the math with me for a minute. In 2008, she was up to 'Twiggy #6.' What might she be up to today if she's still around working the 'animals doing odd stuff circuit?' And where did all the people in that audience come from? And what happened to the first five Twiggy the Squirrels and don't tell they drowned.

Turns out Twiggy was then, and Tony Squawk is now (comes complete with his own jaunty music). I know, 'sell my clothes, I'm going to heaven!' Good on you, but please don't put any of the undressing imagery on Instagram, okay?
-bill kenny

No comments:

Yom Hashoah

Words are real only in an intellectual sense. They are not material of any kind and as such have no shape, size, mass, or structure. As kids...