Sunday, November 19, 2023

Where's Warhol's Stopwatch?

I don't get out much more (or, for that matter, any less) but even when I drove to work on a daily basis I wasn't one of those guys, and I think it's mostly guys to be specific, who listened to sports talk radio. 

I've mentioned previously and repeatedly I hate talk radio, but my hatred of it is old school and quite pure in both its origins and intensity. I despised it long before asswipes like Rush Limbaugh made it a cesspool cum echo chamber (dittoheads, my sweet Fanny). Every market has at least one talk radio station and if you turned them upside down they'd all sound the same. 

Sports/talk radio makes me sad, rather than angry. I am a casual American sports fan (I love German soccer, above all else) who is much more interested in the scores than ninety-minute podcasts (where did that term come from and where is Stan Freberg when we really need him) on the origins of the laces that are in the football cleats of some outside middle linebacker whose annual salary would cover the payroll of a dozen or more public safety folks, plus their benefits. 

As for sports talk on TV, I have a weakness for Pardon the Interruption on ESPN with whatever those two guys' names are, Tony and Wilbon? Tinker and Evans? Scotch and soda? I don't like the show when either of them is missing and someone else is warming a chair. 

But in recent, for me, weeks/months, someone named Pat McAfee, usually in a wife-beater tee shirt with a peanut gallery or gaggle of me-tooers has been popping up across the thirty-two hundred or so flavors of ESPN on my cable system. It's possible he's on all the time and I have just been more fortunate than I realize in not dealing with him. 

Obviously,  he's very successful though the reasons for that success elude me entirely. He's like pineapple on pizza-not to my taste though you're welcome to it. However in this case, if you could just confine him to one channel and tell me which one it is, so I can avoid it, I would be thrilled almost beyond words. 

Of course, being beyond words would also render me ineligible to work on talk radio, I think Vincent Van Gogh might have been on to something all those years ago
-bill kenny   
    

No comments:

Ruminating about Roosevelt

I have some random and not especially original observations before Monday night’s Second Public Hearing on the City Budget.  Theodore Roosev...