Wednesday, November 7, 2007

For my next trick, I'll need a volunteer from the audience

"Half the world is composed of people who have something to say, and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it."

I was amazed to learn Robert Frost, he of "The Death of a Hired Hand", he of standing bare-headed four plus decades ago on a bitterly cold morning to participate in the inauguration of President John F. Kennedy, that Robert Frost, would offer such an observation.
I guess it gets colder than previously reported while stopping in the woods on a snowy evening. Some of us get very cranky in the cold while others of us go crazy in the heat. Whether it's of the atmospheric type or of the moment is often unclear.

Have you noticed Hallmark doesn't have Election Day cards? They have cards for all and every occasion, but none for those whom we leave behind at the ballot box (or here in CT, at the 'scanning station'). I guess, not being elected is message enough.

Here in Norwich not everyone who wanted to be elected was. We can't all be candidates for the Norwich Board of Education, now can we? "This one is just right," said Goldilocks. I hope, after a very spirited, but civil, election campaign, all the candidates, both selected and the preterite, will continue working for all of us here in Norwich.

Frankly, as one of those NFH-types (NFH=Not From Here), I'd hoped we'd eventually figure out that we really are all we have and stop wishing on a star (tell Jiminy I said 'hello' and now I am a real boy, but it's not everything it's cracked up to be). The scariest thing about taking a speaking part in your own town's future, instead of sitting in the audience, is there's no one else to bless or to blame.
Lots of us spoke up yesterday-I just hope we can remember that having two or more monologues isn't the same thing as having a conversation.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Charting a Course

Now that we've had three weeks or so to catch our breath (scout for exits perhaps and count our spare change) I heard someone suggest th...