Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Duplicate Prizes in the event of ties.....

From the time I started working in radio, part-time, in prep school (that was really full-time, btw), for a large number of years, I could get away with dressing in jeans, or chinos, and a tee-shirt. Later, I moved up to 'casual slacks' (they're not just for casual Fridays anymore, y'know) and open-necked rugby shirts.

Americans get confused on rugby shirts, a lot. The ones with VERTICAL stripes are soccer shirts, and every stamp collector who followed World Cup '94 discovered the USA had no clue when our postal system, the USPS (the same folks who can't consistently and correctly deliver mail even when the address is printed on the front of the letter) issued commemorative stamps for the year we hosted the cup, and on the stamps were artists' renderings of soccer players (a/k/a footballers everywhere but here) all wearing horizontal striped shirts, meaning they were actually wearing rugby shirts. Team USA made it to the round of 16, not that a lot of us wrote home all excited about that development.

At some point, I 'graduated' to being a grown-up--and had to go out and get the costume for the grown-up job. So now I have pants with creases and a very small number of pockets, all with an extremely finite capacity (I used to love cargo jump pants with a hundred pockets and practically enough room to put a broadcast Betacam AND a Sachtler tripod in them) and shirts with collars, and lots of ties.

My wife organizes all of the clothes I wear because otherwise I'd just buy ten or twenty of the same everything: pants, shirts, socks, shoes, the whole rigmarole, and do my homage to Groundhog Day (I do resemble Bill Murray, come to think of it. When he's asleep).

What's that it says in the teeny-tiny print on the back of the lottery tickets?
'In the event of ties, duplicate prizes will be awarded.' Well! Back that Duplicate Prize Patrol van up to my house! Can I trade in all the duplicate prizes for one original one?
Who do I have to see to do that?
-bill kenny

No comments:

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...