Saturday, November 26, 2011

Claus and Effect

Our minds create relationships where none may actually exist-which is one of the (few) downsides to being the most marvelous creature on the planet, I think. I've always felt a bit smug that no matter how dull I have been in the course of the day, unlike the smartest animal you can name I'm able to appreciate a sunset. Wish I could say the same for ABC's Lady Gaga Thanksgiving special (insert your turkey joke here), but you can't have everything.

I mention all of that because sometimes a rose is just a rose and other times, it could be something more, frighteningly more (if we let it). On Thanksgiving afternoon, our son, Patrick, came for dinner and in the course of the floor show leading up to dinner, started surfing through the television in the living room. Since last Thanksgiving, we've shifted from one monopoly to another as our provider of entertainment and telecommunications. With apologies to Buzz, we went from Infinity to U-verse, meaning we now have 187,329.6 television stations or something like it.

I would need a dozen more eyes to watch all the TV we now receive-though I have to wonder why I need to learn Spanish to enjoy most international football matches as domestic soccer channel coverage leaves a lot to be desired. In the course of hunting for a match, we settled on Leverkusen versus Chelsea, but on our way there, I think we stumbled across a High Definition Shopping Channel. I didn't grasp it at first, and since Patrick watches TV the way I do, click, two seconds to ascertain meaning, click again, we were already gone when the screen images actually made it to my cerebral cortex.

I started to say something but then wondered what would it be. What should it be? Hey, let's go back and see what I can use 'tootie' on? Is that even the right station or was that the other shop at home channel and how many are there (skip the why). I could have looked in the booklet that the technician left for us when we changed over in May-it's huge and everything in it, from cover to cover I'm able to watch even if I don't want to. The Consumer is King and the remote is my sceptre.

Maybe I could, or should, have started my Christmas shopping in the comfort of my own living room. Would've have saved me from this on the Other Coast. I can't wait until we get to the first Sunday of Advent and open the first door on the calendar. I, for one, didn't realize gas masks were a must have accessory this year.
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Quarter of a Century On...

Maybe it's a phenomenon of age and the aging process but I'm always surprised to discover something I think of as 'not that long...