Sunday, November 6, 2011

Dawn, not Don

Not that you may have noticed it when this gets posted, but it's earlier than you think even though it's later. At some point in the wee, small hours of this morning (Saturday night for many of us) the clocks went back an hour and Eastern Standard Time, EST, returned.

I learned as a child, 'spring ahead and fall back.' Would that I'd learned everything else as easily or well. Would that I'd learned anything else at all, say some. I've learned not to pay those people any mind, if that helps (it works wonders for me).

I find Eastern Standard Time another reason to dislike fall and winter. I get up in the dark and come home in the dark-based on my observable performance my colleagues contend there's no difference once I reach work. Tee-hee. I'll bet we're not going to feel quite so witty when that large aluminum bat makes its way from the boot of my car to the office.

For a lot of us, today means an hour of extra sleep and, not judging you, if that's what you use it for, that's fine (of course). How about, however, if only today, we take that 'extra' hour and invest it in, I don't know, cleaning up that orphaned piece of lawn between our sidewalk and the roadside curb? I have no idea who 'owns it;' I'll tell you I am tired of stepping in dog turds that get deposited there despite pooper scooper ordinances.

Maybe we could trim back some of the hedges that are blocking a view from a window or creating a blindside pulling into or out of a driveway. We might not have Ingrid Bergman or Paris but we'll always, or almost always, have fast food wrappers littering the landscape along a favorite and favored, walking path. How about today you and me become the clean-up committee who take trash bags and make that junk history as we're already out and about.

I know all of these things are tasks 'someone should be doing' and by someone we mean some local municipal department or the like, but my point is each of us is a someone, so we'll do. All we needed to take on this nit-noy noise was to get a small break from the busy and find the time. Good news, buckaroos! Time has come, today.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...