Saturday, April 28, 2012

The King Is Dead

Maybe just me or do the new Burger King TV spots weird you out, too? I mean seriously. I watched one last night with Steven Tyler (whom I don't watch on American Idol). Steven looks like he fell out of the ugly tree and hit every single branch on the way down.

Thirty five years ago, it wasn't that big a deal.  Aerosmith was Boston's answer to a question never asked. Tyler was Jagger to Joe Perry's Keef Richards. Then they all got old. Now, I have no idea what Aerosmith, Inc, does but I'll bet they have a private jet and an army of accountants to help them do it. And now Steven does Burger King commercials and has a face that looks like a baseball glove.

The BK spot for something with chicken Mary J Blige did angered more people than putting a hoodie on Abraham Lincoln ever could have and the one with David Beckham and a strawberry banana smoothie was mawkishly amateur.

I thought the King character from their previous advertising campaign came to someone in a Quaalude lull and he always freaked me out and not because anything connected with him was original. This new effort to try to get BK back within sight of the #2 spot in slinging sliders, Wendy's is the new #2 behind Mickey D's (I'm guessing because they concentrated on food and not TV commercials), isn't motivating me to do anything other than speed past their joints on the highway. Sort of like Jay Leno, only faster, and a whole lot funnier.
-bill kenny

No comments:

B-B-Back in M-M-My D-D-Day

On New Year's Day, 1966, London Records (their USA record company) unveiled a billboard for the next Rolling Stones album, December'...