Monday, May 9, 2016

One for the Dyslexics

This is from some time long ago but not, as it turns out all that different from now. Go figure. 

Driving home yesterday afternoon I was behind someone with a bumper sticker that you just know has a HUGE story behind it. I've sort of seen the first part before, "My Dog is Smarter than Your Honor Student" but it was the second part, "My God Can Beat Up Your God" that leads me to wonder just how deep some still waters run.

I long ago abandoned in despair the faith of my fathers so there really is no upside to the hereafter-I can appreciate the humor in having painted myself into a corner like this; I'm just never happy about having to sign the painting.

Sara J, who was a work friend decades before she became an FB friend, shared a story the other day about a faked kidnapping in her local newspaper with a mother, her one-year-old child and this elaborate charade the woman endured to be able to run off with her new boyfriend, leaving her husband. When asked why she didn't just divorce him, Sara reported the woman said she wouldn't/couldn't because of religious reasons.

Then there's the news story on the alterations made to an episode of South Park because someone had posted threats against the lives of the cartoon's two creators (I know, 'it takes two guys to come up with that stuff?' Everybody's a critic) for defaming Islam.

And Erich S, another FB friend who was a friend before FB, had an article on the banning in Belgium of an article of clothing most often worn by Muslim women being perceived by some Muslim clerics as both anti-women and anti-Muslim.

I'd like to think with so many different cultures around the world that have embraced the idea of a deity because the ideal represents a unification of values and belief systems that, no matter the flavor or brand, have more in common sometimes than those who practice them. I've grown very old watching us shift from the idea we were created in the Lord's image and likeness to vice versa, which scares me more than I care to admit. 

Probably not my place to wonder, but if there are End Times, and they do arrive and all that which is prophesied does come to pass, who among us is going to stand before angels and archangels, Cherubim and Seraphim, the Thrones and Dominations, and explain to God, whatever you perceive Her/Him to be, exactly what the heck we've been doing down here. That should be a hoot.
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Quarter of a Century On...

Maybe it's a phenomenon of age and the aging process but I'm always surprised to discover something I think of as 'not that long...