Saturday, December 16, 2017

Upon Further Review

Our son, Patrick, stopped by Thursday afternoon (my first day of vacation since whenever it was I last took a vacation, probably to go to Margaret and Adam's beach sanctuary in August) to walk me through money after I retire at the end of June next year. 

I'm still struggling to accept there's something other than that decades-long tradition we have around these parts that what I do for a living defines who I am as a person and turning my attention to what  I'll should and could say when I'm asked as of 1 July.  

He helps people plan financial futures and he's incredibly good at it (I cannot balance my checkbook so I have no idea where his aptitude and ability come from) and in less than an hour, he took a world of worry off my shoulders about what we'll have in terms of dollars and sense. 

My life is brilliant. I have as my best friend a woman I've loved from the moment I first saw her and to whom I've been married for over forty years. Together we have two children who are ridiculously capable adults with rich and fulfilling lives of their own despite (because?) the fact I have no idea how any of all of that might have happened since I really wasn't involved (carrying on in my way a tradition I'd rather not have thought too much about.) 

My superpower, recalling my own childhood, is and always was staying out of the way, not so much as a benefit to me as an advantage for everyone else. Our children and so much of my life are amazing because of my wife and her efforts. I tend to moan about all the things which I don't have instead of cherishing the intangibles which I do. And I always forget that redemption is never earned, but rather a gift that's given.     
-bill kenny  

No comments:

Candles on the Cake Set off the Smoke Alarm

I got congratulated a lot Friday for my birthday when it was really my mom who deserved all the credit. I was, literally, along for the ride...